Thursday, November 3, 2016

Ina Shai

ina shai pop music
Photo: Jure Gubanc 

New Artist- Ina Shai

Radio Killed Music is proud to present our new supported artist Ina Shai. Ina Shai is a 24 year old pop and soul singer from Radomlje, Slovenia. Currently, she is promoting and performing her brand new EP, Overload in her home country Slovenia and in London, England where she studies and writes music.We were more than happy to support Ina Shai and spread the word. Ina Shai has a truly captivating and bone chilling voice that will make your heart melt. Radio Killed Music was lucky to catch up with Ina Shai and ask her a few questions.

Like many artists, Ina Shai was discovered on the biggest video platform in the world, YouTube. At age 13, she began posting videos of herself singing and was noticed by a local producer. Ina and the producer began writing and recording songs which eventually led to the release of her first single. The single received great reception and accolades from her hometown country, Slovenia. Despite some success, Ina did not stop there. She continued writing music and kept perfecting her craft. Ultimately, her hard work paid off, and at age 17 she was able to land herself a spot at one of the biggest musical festivals in Slovenia. We asked Ina to talk about her music career, its beginnings, and her fortunate fate.

“It’s crazy to think how it started, but if it weren’t for YouTube maybe my path would be completely different. I still remember how shocked everyone was at the time that I was putting videos of me singing online. YouTube was still quite new at the time, well at least in my country, but I’m glad I did it.”

Well, we can all thank god for YouTube. Otherwise, the world may never have heard the beautiful voice of Ina Shai.



Ina Shai Q & A

Do you play any instruments? If not, have you considered playing any?


I always wanted to play piano. When I was around 7 I auditioned for music school, I remember I was accepted but my mum never took me to school. It was probably because I was already very busy at the time, and I was involved in other activities like sports. Next year, I auditioned again, but I was not accepted. I was really heartbroken and never tried out again. Now, I’m learning how to play piano myself. I’m not very good, but I can write songs using it. Usually, I co-write my songs and provide vocal melodies and lyrics. However, the title track from my EP – Overload – is the first song I wrote completely by myself, and it encouraged me to start writing more of my own music. The other 3 songs on the EP were co-written with the talented guitarist Vincenzo Capodivento.

Do you produce your tracks? How involved are you in the process?


I don’t produce my tracks, but I’m heavily involved in the whole process. I give ideas and directions because I have a very clear vision of what I want my songs to sound like. I’m lucky to work with fantastic producer, Hans Kristjan Aljas. He produced all the songs on the EP and is a brilliant musician.  He understands my vision and adds his own ideas and input.

How would you classify the music you sing and your style?


I’d say the music on my EP is a blend of pop, RnB, and soul. I always write music from my own perspective and try to create songs that resonates with other people as well. That’s why the vocal melody is really important to me. It definitely needs to be catchy and memorable.

What made you choose the style of music you create?


I didn’t really pick it. It kind of came naturally. When I was younger, I would listen to artists such as BeyoncĂ©, Alicia Keys, and Usher. The RnB style of music really spoke to me, and I think my style is directly or indirectly influenced by it. Now, I listen to a lot of jazz and electronic music. The elements of those genres are starting to show in my own songwriting. I don’t think I’ll ever stop exploring genres because music is such a beautiful and vast art form.

What is your biggest musical influence and why?


My biggest musical influence is music itself. I love listening to different artists and how they express themselves. I learn something new every day from people’s music. The artist can be known or unknown. It truly doesn’t really matter to me as long as the music touches your soul.

What are your inspirations in your life outside of music?


Ever since I was young I had a slightly different view of life. I believe in positive energy and believe if you’re a caring and good person you will be rewarded. While growing up I was never the most popular, and I was a bit chubby. I now can take a step back and appreciate all the good stuff that is happening in my life. Life is beautiful even when we think it’s not. It’s all about how you perceive life’s events and obstacles. It always surprises me…always. 

Where do you see your musical career going? What can we expect from you in the future?


At the moment, I am promoting my debut EP 'Overload' and I am releasing a new music video end of November. I'm really happy I have the chance to work with so many talented musicians and until I have the motivation and inspiration I will continue to make music. I would love to grow as an artist and explore new genres and sounds while continuing to develope. Hopefully, people will contect with what we are doing because we want to keep on doing this for the rest of our lives.


To check out Ina Shai’s EP click here.



Check out our other supported artist Jad Saad here.

New Artist
PREV | NEXT